I’m really excited to announce that I’m going to be starting a new segment on the blog EVERY MONDAY NIGHT 9PM EST that includes everyone’s favourite topic… FOOD! Many of you have are already victims of my food spams on Instagram stories… #SorryNotSorryByDemiLovato, but now I wanted to give you a more in depth review of some of my favourite places in Toronto / GTA (or wherever I may be). Follow #GetaweiFood on here and on Instagram!
To introduce this series I thought I’d explain how this works: every week, I will try to go to a different restaurant (okay this shouldn’t be hard let’s be real because if you’ve been following along you probably already know that I eat out at least twice a week #oops). I will only write about this restaurant IF it makes it to my own personal scale of at least 4 stars (and obviously up to you to trust whether or not my personal star rating system is good or not…) besides, I’m not a licensed food critic by any means but I’d like to say that I eat enough to know what is worth the splurge and what is worth the purge (I MADE THAT UP MYSELF I’M SO PROUD :D). Note that these restaurants will include a range of everything – cheap eats, fancy eats, different cuisines, etc etc you get the point.
Anyway, that being said, I’m currently taking recommendations to all restaurants of all categories (maybe be mindful of my budget because I’m still a very broke post-grad #ThanksRichardIveyAndExchange) so feel free to send some over and I will be sure to credit you!!!!
So without any further ado, introducing the first restaurant of these series………. *drum roll please*……. NOME IZAKAYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I honestly feel like a talk show host… honestly what network is currently hiring because I’m v down to apply). I wanted this to be my very first post because not only did I just go there recently again (I think I’ve been there about 30 times now no lie) but also because this actually might be my #1 favourite restaurant in the GTA, plus my insta stories got so many responses asking for this and the girls I went with loved it so I have to share it with you!!! ❤
Keep in mind that this is my first post so if I’m missing any information that you believe is essential to reading, do not hesitate to message me. This will help improve the blog posts to come!
My personal rating: *****
WHY YOU SHOULD LOVE IT:
- They have dollar oysters every Tuesday and Wednesdays!!!
- They also have different types of sauces for oysters. This is a great chance for people who have been wanting to try oysters to get it because it’s so cheap
- Their Japanese food itself (cooked portion) is amazing – everything on the menu is pretty good
- They have a nice patio in the summer time
MUST READ + ESSENTIAL DETAILS:
- If you plan to go on Tuesday or Wednesday for Dollar Oysters… you MUST make a reservation (or the wait times will be horrendous!!) – you can do this online very easily
- Located @ Yonge & Sheppard – VERY CLOSE TO THE SUBWAY STATION – literally a 1 min walk or less
- Yes, I know, this isn’t technically in downtown but don’t let this hold you back because it’s very accessible by subway
- If you are driving you can park directly behind the restaurant, the code for Green P parking is 403 (download the app and pay for parking directly through your phone)
- Exact Address = 4848 Yonge St, North York, ON M2N 5N2 (I don’t know why you would need the postal code but I’m just gonna give that to you anyway in case you want to send them fan mail or what not)
WHAT TO GET:
***Disclaimer: these are my personal favourites and suggestions
// Must Get
- $1 oysters!!!!!!!!!!! (only Tues & Wed)
- Chicken Karaage (fried chicken)
- This is one of my favourite dishes in all Japanese places!
- Marinated Short Ribs
- Double Salmon Roll
- Apple Salmon Roll
- This is my personal favourite but some people like the Double Salmon better!
- Baked Oysters
- If you’ve never tried a baked oyster in your life… you are truly missing out. You have to try this!!!!!!!!!
- California Style Sashimi Donburi (this is rice + salad in a bowl basically – think of Japanese styled Chipotle hahaha)
// Try Something New
- Oct-wasabi (Tako Wasabi)
- This dish will surprise you if you haven’t tried this before – it has a strong wasabi taste but it is extremely pleasant! However, stay away if you don’t like octopus, wasabi, seaweed, or if you are very sensitive to spicy things
- Put the Octopus on the seaweed, wrap it, and enjoy!
- Deep Fried Pork Belly
- This dish is very fatty but sooooo good
These are just the things I’ve tried and recommend so far. The rest of their menu is also amazing and I highly recommend exploring around!
I hope you enjoyed this blog post!! Happy eating everyone 😀